Thursday, July 15, 2010

Creative Farmers?

I didn't really think much about the "farmers" until 2 or 3 years ago. I knew they existed, locally and internationally. I knew they grew fruit, vegetables, grains, and provided meat and dairy for my meals. I knew they probably worked really hard, and struggled to survive, but that didn't mean much to me until my best friend spoke up. She got involved with a group while she was studying at the University of Guelph, which eventually led her to spending a year in Nova Scotia working on an organic farm. My appreciation and understanding of the importance of farmers has changed immensely since then.

So, what does farming have to do with this blog? Well, have you ever considered that farmers have a role in the creative economy? They do.

Are people in the agricultural industry creative? Absolutely.
Are they entrepreneurial? Do they think on their toes? Are they dynamic? Is it necessary for them to look outside of the box, to be successful? Are they innovative? I think so.

There is a very common misconception that the Creative Economy relates only to ‘creative’ types - artisans, musicians, actors, dancers etc. Although those occupations also play a vital role in the Creative Economy, they aren't "it". Farmers, scientists, architects, doctors, educators - the list goes on and on.

Check out THIS article from the CBC discussing agriculture as a CREATIVE, profitable pursuit...and don't forget to support your local farmers!

-- Becky :)

No comments:

Post a Comment